Pet Safety Holiday Tips

Holidays are a memorable and exciting time for humans and animals alike. The last thing pet owners would want to do is rush his/her pet Ian Emergency Room. Concerning this here a few good tips shared by the ASPCA to help you and your pet celebrate a safe holiday.

Be Careful with Seasonal Plants and Decorations

The Christmas Tree: make sure your tree is securely anchored such that there are no possible cases of a trip and fall; this may likely cause injuries to your pet and other relatives as well. Also, ensure that the fertilizers of the trees are not split such that the pets have access to it-the fertilizers are known to cause stomach upset. Furthermore, stagnant water in the tree pot serves as a breeding ground for harmful bacteria which could lead to nausea or diarrhea if the T per comes in contact with it.

Avoid Mistletoe & Holly: Holly, if ingested, can cause severe nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. It can also cause intestinal as well as heart-related problems to your pets. Lilies are also known to cause kidney failure in pets like cats if it is ingested. However, you can control or avoid these situations by opting for   a pet-safe bouquet.  
Tinsel-less Town: this “toy” is mostly loved by kitties because of it sparkly and light-catchy features. Is it also easy to carry around in their mouth but any little nibble can lead to a swallow which may result in dehydration, vomiting, obstructed digestive tracts and in some cases surgery. It is advised to brighten your boughs with objects other than tinsel.

That super Holiday Glow: Don’t leave lighted candles unattended to because Pets may likely burn themselves up or cause a fire if they knock candles over. Be sure to use appropriate candle holders, placed on a stable surface. And if you intend to leave the room, put the candle out!
Wired Up:  wires, batteries, and glass or plastic ornaments should be kept out of paws’ reach. A wire has the potential to cause a lethal electric shock, and a punctured or damaged battery causes burns to the mouth and esophagus of your pets. The breakable ornament can also damage the mouth and digestive tract of the pet.


Skip the Sweets: You ought to be aware now that You should not feed your pets chocolate and anything sweetened with xylitol, but you do not know the extent an active pet will go to chomp on something tasty or yummy? Make sure your pets are kept away from the table and unattended plates of food. Also, secure the lids of garbage cans. 
Let go of the Leftovers: Fatty, spicy and no-no human foods, as well as bones, should not be fed to your furry friends(pets). Pets can join the festivities in other fun ways that won’t lead to costly medical bills afterward.

Careful with Cocktails: If your celebration includes adult holiday beverages(alcoholic drinks), ensure your unattended alcoholic drinks are placed away far from where pets can get to them. If ingested, your pet could become weak, ill and may even go into a coma, possibly resulting in death from respiratory failure.

Selecting Special Treats: Looking to stuff your pet’s stockings? Stick with chew toys that are indestructible, Kongs that can be stuffed with healthy foods or chew treats that are designed to be safely digestible. Buy cute toys like a big ball that is too big to swallow for your kitties, a stuffed catnip or an interactive cat-dancer. Avoid toys like a ribbon; they can get stuck in the intestine.


You can Plan a Pet-Safe Holiday Gathering

Here’s how

There should be House Rules: If your guests are animal-loving and they would love to give your pets a little extra attention and exercise while you’re busy with other part activities; you should ask them to feel comfortable to start up an excellent peering or play session.

Meds should be put Away: ensure that all medications are put off and securely too and be sure that guests have their pita way too.  Meds zipped up and packed away, too.
A Room of Their Own: Give your pet his quiet space to retreat to—complete with fresh water and a place to snuggle. Shy pups and cats might want to hide out under a piece of furniture, in their carrying case or a separate room away from the hubbub.
New Year’s Noise: As you countdown to the new year, please keep in mind that strings of thrown confetti can get lodged in a cat’s intestines, if ingested, perhaps necessitating surgery. Noisy poppers can terrify pets and cause possible damage to sensitive ears. And remember that many pets are also scared of fireworks, so be sure to secure them in a safe, escape-proof area as midnight approaches.

Happy Holidays!